Advanced Multi-layer Firewall Protection > Advanced Multi-Layer Firewall Protection Source | Edit on
Module 1: F5 Multi-layer Firewall¶
This module has seven labs in configuring an Advanced Multi-layer firewall applicable to many data center environments.
In this module, you will build a perimeter firewall with advanced Layer 7 security mitigations.
- Inspect multiple internal pools and virtual servers for different applications within your data center. e.g. www, API, /downloads
- Inspect external hosted virtual server that allows the same IP address to be shared with multiple SSL enabled applications.
- Inspect and understand LTM policy to direct traffic to appropriate virtual server
- Configure local logging; test
- Create a network firewall policy to protect the internal application virtual servers; test
- Configure the external virtual server to tranform traffic coming through CDN networks so that firewall policies can be applied to specific clients; test
- Modify the network firewall policy to block based on XFF; test
- Apply Layer 7 responses (403 Denied) for CDN clients to firewall drop rules
- Configure HTTP protocol security; test
- Configure SSL Visibility to external security devices e.g. IDS; test
Labs 1 & 2 highlight the flexibility of leveraging an application proxy such as the BIG-IP for your perimeter security utilizing common traffic management techniques and some additional features unique to the BIG-IP as an Application Delivery Controller.
- Getting Started
- Lab 1: Pre-configured pools and virtual servers
- Lab 2: Permitting traffic to pass to virtual servers
- Lab 3: Configure Local Logging For Firewall Events
- Lab 4: Configure A Firewall Policy and Firewall Rules For Each Application
- Lab 5: Provide Firewall Security Policies For CDN Enabled Applications
- Lab 6: Configure HTTP security
- Lab 7: Configure a Clone Pool for SSL Visibility to IDS Sensors or Other Security Tools