FAST Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)¶
What is FAST (F5 Application Services Templates)
The F5 Application Services Templates extension, or FAST, provides a way to streamline deployment of AS3 applications onto BIG-IP using AS3 deployment patterns, or templates. FAST is the next phase of evolution for F5, unlocking new capabilities, aligning to multi-cloud, injecting automation, and empowering customers with our best-in-class application services.
See About F5 Application Services Templates for a more in-depth description of FAST.
- A new, flexible, and powerful front-end templating system
- An effective way to deploy applications on the BIG-IP system using AS3
- A cross-platform successor to iApp templates, built on top of our declarative APIs
- Seamless integration and insertion into CI/CD pipelines
- Compatibility with modern development languages like Node.js and Python
Does FAST collect any usage data?
The F5 Application Services Template (FAST) gathers non-identifiable usage data for the purposes of improving the product as outlined in the end user license agreement for BIG-IP. To opt out of data collection, disable the BIG-IP systems phone home feature as described in K15000: Overview of the Automatic Update check and Automatic Phone Home features, Disabling the Automatic Phone Home feature section.
What F5 platforms does FAST support?
FAST is initially targeted to the BIG-IP.
What BIG-IP versions does FAST support?
- BIG-IP TMOS v13.1 or later
- AS3 v3.16 or later must be installed see Downloading and Installing AS3
What does this mean for iApp templates?
iApp templates will not be removed or disabled and users are free to continue using iApp templates, subject to the EoL timeline.
For additional information, see K13422: F5-supported and F5-contributed iApp templates.