SPK Custom Resource Definitions (CRDs) install with the Ingress Controller and extend the Kubernetes API; enabling SPK specific configurations to be applied using native Kubernetes commands. Once the CRDs are installed, application traffic management and networking configurations can be applied to the Service Proxy Traffic Management Microkernel (TMM) using SPK Custom Resources (CRs).
This document describes the available SPK CRs, and offers two installation strategies.
Application traffic CRs¶
Application traffic CRs configure Service Proxy TMM to proxy and load balance application traffic using protocols such as TCP, UDP, SCTP, DIAMETER, and NGAP. When you install an application traffic CR, Service Proxy TMM receives the following application traffic management objects:
|Virtual Server||An IP address and service port that receives and processes ingress application traffic.|
|Protocol Profile||Provide application traffic intelligence, and options to adapt how connections are handled.|
|Load Balancing Pool||The Service object Endpoints that TMM distributes traffic to using round robin load balancing.|
Available traffic management CRs:
- F5SPKIngressTCP - Ingress layer 4 TCP application traffic management.
- F5SPKIngressUDP - Ingress layer 4 UDP application traffic management.
- F5SPKIngressDiameter - Ingress Diameter traffic management using TCP or SCTP.
- F5SPKIngressNGAP - Ingress datagram load balancing for SCTP or NGAP signaling.
- F5SPKEgress - Enable egress traffic for Pods using SNAT or DNS/NAT46.
- F5SPKSnatpool - Allocate IP addresses for egress Pod connections.
Networking CRs configure TMM’s networking components such as network interfaces and static routes.
Available network management CRs:
CR installation strategies¶
There are two methods for installing SPK CRs into the container platform:
- Helm - Helm enables the installation of 5G applications with the appropriate SPK CR, simplifying application management tasks such as upgrades, rollbacks and configuration modifications. For a simple Helm installation example, review the CR integration guide.
- Kubectl - 5G Applications and their Kubernetes Service object can be deployed first, and the appropriate SPK CR can then be installed using Kubectl. This method is used in the various SPK CR overview guides for simplicity, however, it does not support modifying complex 5G applications and is more error-prone.