BIG-IQ Test Drive Labs¶
Welcome to the F5 BIG-IQ Test Drive.
This lab provides hands-on experience using F5’s BIG-IQ.
BIG-IQ allows you to take an application-centric approach to core IT, networking, services provisioning, and deployment with a unified tool for gaining visibility into and managing your F5 application delivery and security portfolio.
BIG-IQ significantly extends the operability and value of your F5 investment. From a single console, BIG-IQ offers users the ability to create, configure, deploy, analyze, troubleshoot, patch, and upgrade F5 security and application delivery services. BIG-IQ also supports holistic device management of F5 BIG-IP™ physical and virtual devices both locally and in the cloud.
From per-app virtual editions to traditional hardware appliances, BIG-IQ makes it possible to gain visibility into apps and devices, leverage automated workflows, simplify configuration, and ensure every team—and every app—has the resources required to perform optimally.
With BIG-IQ you can quickly and easily manage, analyze, and troubleshoot every device, every application, and every policy from one centralized location—no matter the operating environment.
New to BIG-IQ? Get started by watching the video below.
Understand the Core Features of BIG-IQ Centralized Management.
This lab will cover the following topics:
- Managing application services with legacy and Application Services 3 Extension (AS3) templates
- Troubleshooting and assessing health and performance at-a-glance with application-specific dashboards
- Keeping certificates compliant and up-to-date with integrated certificate management workflows
- Backing-up, patching, and orchestrating upgrades of BIG-IP devices
- Using BIG-IQ with Venafi, leader in X.509 certificate management
- Building advanced, DevOps-aligned automation workflows with BIG-IQ, GitLab, and Ansible configuration management
- Solving common challenges associated with importing legacy BIG-IPs into BIG-IQ
Once you are ready to start your BIG-IQ journey, consult the Getting Started page, then start with BIG-IQ Application Management and AS3 Hands-On Labs.
Labs below are part of a larger BIG-IQ lab guide. The labs on the BIG-IQ Test Drive page need to be done as listed.
BIG-IQ Application Management and AS3 (Estimated time to complete: 40min)
- Lab 3.1: Importing AS3 templates
- Lab 3.2: Application Service creation using AS3 through BIG-IQ GUI
- Lab 3.3: AS3 Application Service modification through BIG-IQ GUI
- Lab 6.1: HTTP Legacy Application Creation
- Lab 6.2: HTTP Analytics Profile Creation for Legacy Applications
- Lab 6.3: Legacy Application and RBAC: Paula workflow
BIG-IQ Analytics (Estimated time to complete: 30min)
BIG-IQ LTM Configuration Management (Estimated time to complete: 20min)
BIG-IQ Device Management (Estimated time to complete: 30min)
Optional Hands-On Labs¶
Start the Venafi Trust Protection server in the UDF environment in order to complete Lab 1.4 and follow instructions on the Getting Started page to generate a SSH keys for Lab 2.12 and 2.13.
- Lab 1.4: Integrating Venafi with BIG-IQ for Certificate Management
- Lab 2.12: AS3 Application Creation using GitLab CI/CD pipeline, Ansible and BIG-IQ
- Module 5: LTM conflict resolution: silo in BIG-IQ (new 7.1)
- Lab 2.13: Migrate AS3 application service(s) with its referenced objects from a BIG-IP to another BIG-IP